Monday, September 12, 2011

World Trade Center Remembered

Through this past weekend's coverage of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I couldn't help but remember a trip that my wife and I made to New York City in 1992.  It was a beautiful October weekend and we spent three glorious days exploring the amazing city of New York, mostly on foot.  We were typical tourists, and one of the highlights of the trip was our visit to the "Top of the World Observation Deck" in the south tower of the World Trade Center.  That particular day was not unlike 9/11.  Clear blue skies, no wind, pleasant temperatures.  One couldn't ask for better conditions to take in the view of Manhatten and the surrounding area from the best vantage point in town.  I've included a few shots of the view from the top.

There is nothing that I can say or write about 9/11 that hasn't been said before.  For my part, I will always remember the two towers that dominated the Manhatten skyline, and the day that brought them down.  I was glad to see that a beautiful and fitting memorial has finally been opened where the towers once stood.  We will visit there one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment