Friday, June 24, 2011

Jethro Tull

I first saw Jethro Tull in Maple Leaf Gardens in 1977.  Even though the group was five years beyond the height of their success, they were still a very popular band selling out arena shows worldwide.  When the 1977 Toronto concert was announced, one of my classmates suggested that we should get tickets.  It didn’t take much convincing.  I had been a huge Jethro Tull fan through the early 1970’s and this would be a great opportunity to finally see them.  When the night of the concert
Jethro Tull - 1977
arrived, it was nothing short of an experience.  I can still remember the impact of Ian Anderson and his flute, this skilled musician and showman performing like a crazed madman belting out what are now classic Jethro Tull tunes. 

Jethro Tull has always had a distinctive sound.  Ian Anderson is probably one of the best performing artists that rock has produced.  Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Crest of a Knave . . .  all terrific albums that are still on my favourite list.  Last Sunday, my son and I caught Jethro Tull at the Centre for the Performing Arts in Vancouver.  As a
Jethro Tull in Vancouver - 2011
father, I wanted my son to see Jethro Tull.  Though I knew the experience would be a far cry from an arena show of the 70's, at least he would get a taste of the old minstrel and his band.  Life's a long song, and I am happy to report that this was a great Father's Day event forty years after the release of their masterpiece album Aqualung.

No comments:

Post a Comment