Saturday, December 11, 2010

Douglas DC-3

The Douglas DC-3 turns 75 this week.  The first flight of this venerable old transport took place on December 17th, 1935.  During its production run, 10,654 DC-3's, C-47's, R4D's and other variants were produced until the last aircraft rolled off the line in 1947.  The DC-3 was an invaluable aircraft through World War II and during the Berlin airlift.  Following the war, the aircraft came to define the postwar airline industry.  What is more amazing is that even today, many DC-3's are still flying in commercial service, transporting passengers and cargo, and dropping skydivers.  Although I watched countless DC-3's as I grew up, I have never flown in one.  I had an opportunity once, back in 1986 when I had booked a commercial flight from Thompson Manitoba to some northern destination that I can't even recall.  Unfortunately, I arrived at the airport a touch late that day and I had to watch as the Calm Air DC-3 taxied away for departure without me.

Surprisingly, on scouring through my photos,  I haven't taken as many pictures of DC-3's as I would have thought.  Perhaps they were just too common to attract my attention.  But I did find a couple of my own photos to include in this post.  The first is of an Eldorado Aviation DC-3 taken at Edmonton Municipal Airport back in February of 1978.  On conducting a search of the Canadian Civil Aircraft Register, registration CF-CUG no longer exists, so I assume the aircraft has either been sold out of country or no longer exists.
The second picture is of a Canadian Forces DC-3 taken at Thunder Bay airport in 1984.  I always liked the Canadian Air Force DC-3's.  They had a great look, with a paint scheme that complemented that classic airframe.  The DC-3 is now 75 years old.  A remarkable airplane that has withstood the test of time and continues as a reliable workhorse to this day.

1 comment: