Friday, November 19, 2010

Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe

In the early 1990’s, Bonnie-Rae and I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.  We owned a great home on Spadina Crescent East, a beautiful elm tree lined street that runs north out of the downtown area along the banks of the South Saskatchewan River.  We used to love to walk downtown and take part in many of Saskatoon’s summertime festivals and activities.  On September 25th, 1993 we headed downtown for a
very special occasion, the unveiling of Gordie Howe’s statue, one of Saskatoon’s most famous native sons. Gordie was present at the ceremony and drew an adoring crowd.  He seemed comfortable and happy to be
back in Saskatoon and mingled with the crowd as if he had never left home.  I had my camera with me that day and snapped several photos of Mr. Hockey.  The location of the statue was on the south side of Midtown Plaza at 1st 
Avenue and 20th Street.  I understand that it has now been moved to Saskatoon’s Credit Union Sports and Entertainment Centre, perhaps a more fitting location given Gordie’s hockey pedigree.

Less than a month later, Bonnie-Rae and I were changing planes in Minneapolis-St. Paul on a trip to Hilton Head, South Carolina.  As we waited to board our flight we noticed Gordie Howe sitting alone
at our gate reading a newspaper.  Without hesitation, Bonnie-Rae said “I’m going to go talk to him”.  I held back thinking he might not want to be bothered, but as I watched my wife strike up a conversation with Gordie Howe, I decided I would head over to say hello.  I was carrying a tennis racket at the time and when Gordie looked up at me he asked “What’s that, a Saskatoon snow shovel”?  To this day, I still kick myself for not asking Gordie Howe to sign my “Saskatoon snow shovel”!

No comments:

Post a Comment