Thursday, August 26, 2010

Huey Lewis and the News

This has been a very busy summer and there hasn't been much time for posting to this blog.  But tonight I thought I would take a few moments to share a story and a couple of pictures from two concerts, 24 years apart.

In 1986, I was working in Winnipeg and dating a girl who had a similar interest in music.  Somehow she managed to score front row tickets to see Huey Lewis and the News, who at the time were at the pinnacle of their success, one of the most popular bands 
of the day.  I was on the receiving end of one of those tickets and was thrilled to be going, let alone to be sitting in the front row.  This would also call for my 35 mm SLR to get a few close up shots of the man who made it “Hip to be Square”.  The sold out concert in the Winnipeg Arena certainly didn’t disappoint.  Huey and the band were in fine form, at the top of their game.
August 30, 1986
As a final thrill, at the end of the show, Huey’s guitar player and I met eyes and he threw his guitar pick out to me.  Unfortunately I had my camera in hands and the guitar pick ended up in the steel grating on the floor of the Winnipeg Arena.  I might not have come home with the guitar pick, but I did manage to get a few good shots of Huey and the band, using a fairly fast 400 ASA film.

Last night, my son Douglas and I ventured to the PNE to take in the Summer Night Concert at the Fair with the headliner being none other than Huey Lewis and the News.  It was great to see that even after all these years, Huey can still pack in a huge crowd and put on a fantastic show.  And
August 26, 2010
with respect to my camera, it no longer has film, my zoom works very well, and the ASA can be set to whatever level I want without changing film.  The result is an image of a much older Huey, still at it after all these years.  I couldn't help but wonder how many times he has played "The Power of Love" since the last time I saw him.  No matter . . . . . the Heart of Rock n Roll is still beating! 

1 comment:

  1. I saw Huey and the news this summer in London Ontario, front row and he did not disappoint. You are right the Heart of Rock n Roll is still beating. Lub dub

    ReplyDelete