Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dressed for the Occasion

It was 50 years ago today and my brother and I were dressed for the occasion.  The date was April 20th, 1960 and Canadian National Railways Mountain Class 4-8-2, Engine 6062 was being prepared to pull train #10 from Saskatoon to Humboldt and then on to Winnipeg for the last time.  The following day, diesel electric power would appear on the head end of #10 and the age of steam in Saskatchewan would be gone forever.

I don't remember the event and only have pictures.  I am told that apart from the plaque mounted on the front of the engine and the railway men who ceremoniously gathered to mark the occasion, the departure was met with little public fanfare or notice.  However my Father obviously recognized that this was a significant day and made sure that my brother and I were full participants.
It did rate for a photo and story on the third page of the Saskatoon Star Phoenix on April 22, 1960 and I still have the old yellowed newspaper to prove that we were priviledged to have experienced the end of steam like few others of our generation.





Left to Right
Conductor Charlie Lindsay
Grant Bailey (2 years old)
Locomotive Engineer J.B. (Scotty) Lees
Bill Bailey (4 years old)





1 comment:

  1. Excellent Story Grant, I was about 6 years old when this event took place in Saskatoon. Unfortunately all I recall of the steam era was the sound of the whistle off in the distance. I was born in Saskatoon and lived their until 1980. I am a rail fan though, collect HO locomotives, and for some reason the Steam era is the one I like best.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete